You are invited to participate in the development of the new TIP. Refer to the timeline to the right for upcoming milestones, meetings, and events and their associated documents. For questions, contact Matt Genova, TIP Manager, at email@example.com or 857.702.3702.
Overall TIP Process
October–December: Gather information about possible projects from MassDOT, member municipalities, and the public
December–February: Analyze and evaluate potential construction projects based on the MPO’s evaluation criteria
March: Recommend projects for funding to the MPO based on the MPO staff’s evaluations and factors such as project cost, project readiness, regional distribution of funding, and other planning priorities and constraints
April–May: Public review of the draft TIP document; incorporate feedback from municipalities and the public and agree on final list of transportation construction projects to program with federal funding; the MPO endorses the final TIP by the end of May
Initiating a TIP Project
- A Municipal TIP contact is responsible for communicating with MPO staff about TIP project-related matters. MPO staff has created several resources to guide TIP contacts and project proponents. To review key information and to submit the data that the MPO needs in order to evaluate a project, see the Project Proponent Questionnaire. For a step-by-step overview of the TIP Process, review the TIP How-To Presentation.
- In order to be considered for TIP funding, a project must be approved by MassDOT. To streamline project approval, MassDOT has launched the new Massachusetts Project Intake Tool (MaPIT), a web-based application that replaces Project Need and Project Initiation Forms. To access MaPIT, project proponents must obtain a login for MassDOT’s GeoDOT Open Data Portal and navigate to the Project Intake Tool.
At the MPO meeting on May 30, 2019, the board voted to endorse the federal fiscal years (FFYs) 2020–24 TIP (PDF) (HTML). The FFYs 2020-24 TIP will be reviewed by the MPO’s federal partners and go into effect on October 1, 2019. To review this year’s TIP development process and relevant documents, see the timeline on this page.
MPO’s TIP Resources:
- TIP Database
- Current TIP tables (PDF)
- Project Proponent Questionnaire
- TIP How-To Presentation
- Schedule of Major Milestones
- TIP Evaluation Criteria
- Last year's TIP Development Page (FFYs 2019–23)
- Previous year's TIP Development Page (FFYs 2018–22)
Massachusetts Department of Transportation Project References:
- MassDOT Highway project development tools
- Development and Design Guide
- Safe Routes to Schools Infrastructure Application
- Safe Routes to Schools Infrastructure Application Guidance Document
- Project Information Database
Federal Funding Programs:
- Fixing America's Surface Transportation (FAST) Act Fact Sheets
- Federal Transit Administration (FTA) Transit Funding Grants
- Guide To Federal-Aid Programs And Projects
- Congestion Mitigation And Air Quality Improvement Program (CMAQ)
- Highway Safety Improvement Program (HSIP)
- Surface Transportation Block Grant Program (STBG)
- Transportation Alternatives Program (TAP)