An aging population, changing job market, and continued demand for more housing are all forces that will shape the Boston region over the next 20 years. Increased congestion, stressed transportation infrastructure, and climate change present challenges to the long-term vitality of the region. The Boston Region Metropolitan Planning Organization’s (MPO) new Long-Range Transportation Plan (LRTP), Destination 2040, was developed to help the region address these challenges within this changing context.
Destination 2040 establishes a vision for the region’s transportation system and funds both capital investments and research studies to support that vision. Destination 2040 consists of two volumes: the Needs Assessment, which analyzes the transportation needs of the region, and the plan, which recommends projects and programs to meet those needs.
Destination 2040 continues the MPO’s practice of setting aside at least half of its discretionary funding for smaller-scale, lower-cost projects that improve mobility and safety for all roadway users, including bicyclists, pedestrians, motorists, and transit riders.
The MPO board considered staff recommendations, federal and state requirements, equity and air quality analyses, financial constraints, and public input before voting to adopt Destination 2040 on August 29, 2019.
The LRTP lists specific major transportation infrastructure projects the MPO plans to fund over the next 20 years. These projects cost more than $20 million and/or add capacity to the transportation network.
In addition to specific projects, the LRTP designates investment programs to guide the MPO’s decision making for its rolling five-year capital plan—the Transportation Improvement Program (TIP). Investment programs provide direction for the kinds of lower-cost projects the MPO will consider funding via the TIP throughout the life of the plan, and also signals to municipalities and agencies that the MPO has funds available for specific types of projects. Destination 2040 includes new funding programs for transit modernization, dedicated bus lane infrastructure, and climate resiliency.
Destination 2040: PDF and Accessible Formats
- Destination 2040 Full Document (pdf) (html)
- Table of Contents (pdf) (html)
- Executive Summary (pdf) (html)
- Resumen Ejecutivo (pdf) (html)
- Sumario Executivo (pdf) (html)
- Rezime Egzekitif (pdf) (html)
- 执行总结 (pdf) (html)
- 執行總結 (pdf) (html)
- Chapter 1: Introduction and Process (pdf) (html)
- Chapter 2: Transportation Needs in the Boston Region (pdf) (html)
- Chapter 3: Funding the Transportation Network (pdf) (html)
- Chapter 4: The Recommended Plan (pdf) (html)
- Chapter 5: System Performance Report (pdf) (html)
- Chapter 6: Transportation Equity Performance Report (pdf) (html)
- Chapter 7: Air Quality Conformity Determination and Greenhouse Gas Analysis (pdf) (html)
- Chapter 8: Next Steps: Implementation of Destination 2040 (pdf) (html)
- Appendix A: Universe of Investment Programs and Projects (pdf) (html)
- Appendix B: Destination 2040 Project Evaluation Methodology (pdf) (html)
- Appendix C: Draft Disparate Impact and Disproportionate Burden Policy for the Long-Range Transportation Plan (pdf) (html)
- Appendix D: Public Outreach for Destination 2040 (pdf) (html)
HOW DID THE MPO DEVELOP
WHAT ARE THE GOALS FOR
WHAT TYPES OF PROJECTS AND INVESTMENT PROGRAMS DOES DESTINATION 2040 FUND?
- Proposed Changes to Existing Vision, Goals, and Objectives (html)
- Vision, Goals, and Objectives: Public Comments and Survey Results (pdf) (html)
- Destination 2040 Financial Handout
- Key Descriptions of Projects in the Long-Range Transportation Plan Universe of Projects
- Universe of Projects with Additional Conceptual Projects
- Universe of Projects
- Key Descriptions of Projects in the LRTP Universe (Additional District 4 Projects)
- Key Descriptions of Projects in the LRTP Universe (Districts 3, 5, and 6)
- Map of MassDOT Highway Districts
- Universe of Programs
- Transit Modernization Program Description
- Dedicated Bus Lane Program Description
- Table of High-Priority Bus Route Segments
- Universe of Programs Survey Responses
- Staff Recommendations for Funding Goals
- Major Infrastructure Projects Summaries and Evaluation Scores
- Summary of Evaluated Major Infrastructure Projects
- Universe of Projects Survey Responses
- Major Infrastructure Projects Summaries and Evaluation Scores, Revised 5/10/19
- Staff Recommended Funding Scenarios
- Major Infrastructure Project Summaries and Evaluation Scores, Revised May 17, 2019
- Staff Recommended Funding Scenarios
For more information, please contact Anne McGahan, MPO staff, at 857.702.3676 or firstname.lastname@example.org.