Home » Our Work
Each federal fiscal year (FFY), the Boston Region Metropolitan Planning Organization (MPO) produces the Unified Planning Work Program (UPWP). This document programs studies and research projects that provide transportation planning and technical assistance to municipalities and agencies in the region. These studies focus on all modes of travel, with the goal of creating communities that are safe, accessible, more walkable, bikeable, and resilient.
The UPWP work undertaken by MPO staff fulfills a number of functions:
- Supports the MPO’s collaborative public decision-making process
- Gathers data about the transportation system
- Identifies needs of transportation system users to enhance the Long-Range Transportation Plan (LRTP) Needs Assessment
- Develops project concepts for improving the transportation system along roadway corridors, at intersections, on bicycle and pedestrian facilities, and on transit routes
- Looks ahead to help the MPO anticipate trends that shape the transportation industry and to understand the relationship between transportation and other matters, such as land use or climate change
On June 18, 2019, the MPO board voted to endorse the FFY 2020 UPWP (pdf) (html), including 11 new discrete studies. The FFY 2020 UPWP was approved by the MPO’s federal partners and took effect on October 1, 2019.