You are invited to participate in the development of the new TIP. Refer to the timeline to the right for important documents and upcoming milestones, meetings, and events.
Overall TIP Process
October–December: Gather information about possible projects from the Massachusetts Department of Transportation (MassDOT), member municipalities, and the public.
December–February: Analyze and evaluate potential construction projects based on the MPO’s evaluation criteria.
March: Recommend projects for funding to the MPO based on the MPO staff’s evaluations and factors, such as project cost, project readiness, regional distribution of funding, and other planning priorities and constraints.
April–May: Prepare to release the draft TIP document for public review; incorporate feedback from municipalities and the public; agree on a final list of transportation construction projects to program with federal funding; and endorse the final TIP by the end of May.
Initiating a TIP Project
- A municipal TIP contact is responsible for communicating with MPO staff about TIP project-related matters. MPO staff has created several resources to guide TIP contacts and project proponents. To review key information and to submit data that the MPO needs to evaluate a project, see the Project Evaluation section below. For a step-by-step overview of the TIP Process, review the TIP How-To Presentation.
- To be considered for TIP funding, a project must be approved by MassDOT’s Project Review Committee. Projects must be submitted to MassDOT through the Massachusetts Project Intake Tool (MaPIT), a web-based application that facilitates the completion of the required Project Need Form and Project Scoping Form. To access MaPIT, project proponents must obtain a login for MassDOT’s GeoDOT Open Data Portal and navigate to the Project Intake Tool. Please note that projects under consideration for funding through the MPO’s Community Connections and Transit Modernization Programs do not need to be initiated through MassDOT.
The MPO considers projects for funding through its six investment programs. Each program uses its own set of project evaluation criteria and features a dedicated application. When applying for TIP funding, please use the links below to review how each project is considered and to access the application portal for each project type. Proponents who are unsure of which application to submit should contact MPO staff for more information.
Complete Streets Program:
- Complete Streets Scorecard (PDF)
- Complete Streets Evaluation Methodology
- Complete Streets Application for Funding
Intersection Improvements Program:
- Intersection Improvements Scorecard (PDF)
- Intersection Improvements Evaluation Methodology
- Intersection Improvements Application for Funding
Bicycle Network and Pedestrian Connections Program:
- Bicycle Network and Pedestrian Connections Scorecard (PDF)
- Bicycle Network and Pedestrian Connections Evaluation Methodology
- Bicycle Network and Pedestrian Connections Application for Funding
Major Infrastructure Program:
- Major Infrastructure Scorecard (PDF)
- Major Infrastructure Evaluation Methodology
- Major Infrastructure Application for Funding
Community Connections Program:
- Community Connections Scorecard (PDF)d
- Community Connections Evaluation Methodology
- Community Connections Application for Funding
Transit Modernization Program:
- Transit Modernization Scorecard (PDF)
- Transit Modernization Evaluation Methodology
- Transit Modernization Application for Funding
MPO’s TIP Resources:
- TIP Database
- TIP How-To Presentation
- TIP Development Page, FFYs 2019–23
- TIP Development Page, FFYs 2020–24
- TIP Development Page, FFYs 2021–25
- TIP Development Page, FFYs 2022–26
MassDOT Project References:
- MassDOT Highway Project Development Tools
- Design Guides and Manuals
- Safe Routes to School Funding Programs
- MassDOT Highway Project Information Database
- Federal Highway Administration (FHWA) Bipartisan Infrastructure Law (BIL) web page
- FHWA BIL Fact Sheets
- Federal Transit Administration (FTA) BIL web page
- FTA Transit Funding Grants